Monday 1 October 2012

Autumn Magic









It is without a question of a doubt Autumn.  I have been holding it at bay for weeks now but even I,  well practised at avoidance cannot ignore what is right in front of my face and swamping my garden.  The children and I spent several hours yesterday clearing the leaves and debris from the garden.  I love how they are happy to potter outside, she collected snails, picking them off the wall one by one and dropping them into a bucket, he added to this with lots of worms.  Neither of them squeamish and both very gentle with their little friends.

We live with woods outside our back gate, so leaves fall and fall and fall in Autumn.  Less so than a few years ago as a lot of the leaf canopy disappeared when three trees rotten through their core were felled.  We missed them like friends but if we are honest we love the light their absence lets in.

We ended the afternoon with our usual walk through the woods.  It keeps me grounded to the seasons and re sets me if I am preoccupied, worried or sad.  I am often one or all of these things in this season of my life. Seeing the children peering into fairy pools or spotting fallow deer step across our path cannot be ignored as powerful everyday magic which blows away or at least proportions my stream of worries.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! You've really captured the Autumny feel in the air. Really lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you- we had fun me and the kiddos, Jxx

      Delete
  2. I loved this post -really beautiful. I love your photos too, they really capture the sense of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, more leaves falling as I type, Jxx

      Delete
  3. Yes a truly beautiful post Jo. And lovely images to echo your words. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, I really appreciate you commenting, Jxx

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous post Jo ... so lovely and the pictures are a great illustration ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bee- much appreciated- loved those wee bird brooches over your way too, Jxx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Col- We are lucky. When we first viewed the house it was a wreck (and empty) and I remember D and I coming along the path in the woods to look over the garden wall at the house- well 'our' house! I already decided it would be ours! It is a beautiful setting, Jxx

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful piece of writing. I love the idea of powerful everyday magic, the ability to see it is a gift. How lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, you saying that means a lot. There are fairies in those pools you know! Jxx

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, and gorgeous woodland photos. You are lucky to live near some woods. I am always amazed at how confident my two are with insects - they pick up and examine worms, snails, beetles without the least squeamishness (unlike me!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian- yes its a great resource and I never take it for granted. They have always made me feel so much better just stepping out into them, Jo xx

      Delete
  8. This is so lovely Jo. What a pretty garden you have and how lovely to live so close to the woods. That's so sweet to be collecting the snails and worms so carefully. Elizabeth has just had a complete meltdown because there was a slug on the doorstep as we were coming in. Think she has just about got over it! Wish she was a little less squeamish! xx

    ReplyDelete

It is always amazing to know you read and comment - so thank you very much.