Sunday 24 June 2012

And it all comes back to Ali






So I am not in the habit of posting about fashion or style but Ali is just my most major influence. That last post about the sunglasses made me have a think. And you know I guess it all comes back to my beautiful mother. The way I look and my own sense of style has become a bit secondary in recent years. Comes with the mama territory I think. But always in my head there I am- that 70's boho with an edge look that Ali MacGraw just did so effortlessly. As I get older and a bit surer about myself it all comes back to me- less of the goth chick style of my try too hard youth and more just me being me. It does all come full circle I suppose and these pics of my mum interspersed with a few of my fave Ali pics just look so right.

I would love to hear about your style and what your influences are- and I really appreciate you visiting me here. Your comments are very important to me. Hope your weekend has been fab.

Jo xx

{Oh and I have had these images for a while so bar the credited one they are out there on the web- just google and see so many other beautiful images of Ali}

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, love these photos of your Mum, this is a really interesting question! I don't think I have a style icon really but my love of eyeliner can probably be traced back to Debbie Harry from Blondie. Hope you've had a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel- I love a bit of eyeliner too, but rather scarily it doesn't go on these nearly 40 year old eyelids as well these days!!! EEEk! Great weeken, hope yours was fab too, Jxx

      Delete
  2. I love Ali too and for me the toast catalogue is something I look at over and over. I can't afford most of it but inspiration is free. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Karen I agree- Toast is a wee bit magical, very inspirational, Hop you are well, Jxx

      Delete
  3. I love that Ali still influences you and the pictures of your Mum are stunning! I love the style of Audrey Tatou and Kristin Scott Thomas, so Parisien chic? (But I can't pull it off!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen- both brilliant style likes and thanks about the pics. You sure have Parisien chic- loving the hair in that recent pic, Jxx

      Delete
  4. Love the pics of your mum! I can't really think of one specific style icon but I have just started watching Mad Men and I am loving all the clothes (esp Joan and Betty's). x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Col, Oh yes the Mad Men style is stunning. It just scares me how long it must have taken to get that look! But the clothes are super flattering, Hope you are goo, Jxx

      Delete
  5. Great pictures! You mum is beautiful. I am obsessed with breton striped tops, so maybe someone French?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally love the striped tops too, the French do just have an amazing style. Its genetic I think! Hope all is well with you, Jxx

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous pictures of your mum Jo. I really don't think I have any style influences. Maybe I need some! I seem to just live in same things since having the kids. So need a change! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Ali McGraw, and my, your mum was so stylish!

    I thing most of my 'style' comes from music - I was (am) a unk kid, and as I've grown up, it's become slightly more grunge. floral dresses with chunky boots/jeans and cons and floaty tops are my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about growing into your style. It's something I have been doing this year - in fact I'm making it a goal to define my style as it can be a bit inconsisent sometimes. Ali McGraw is a good influence.

    ReplyDelete

It is always amazing to know you read and comment - so thank you very much.