Wednesday 27 February 2013

Hungarian Apple Pudding

Finding Margaret Costa's 'Four Seasons Cookery Book' was a great start to the week. It brightened my Monday and by Tuesday night I was already cooking from it. I have always loved apple puddings, my Mum's Eve's pudding, with cold milk instead of cream or ice cream (a trait I picked up from my Dad who says it originates from the rationing he says he grew up with just after the war) is my all time favourite. Apple puddings are homely, comforting, full of memories and sweet and tart at the same time. It figured then that I turned to the apple section of Margaret's book first. I attempted the 'Hungarian Apple Pudding' and it was delicious. We ate it piping hot with Swedish Glace the dairy free ice cream we all love.

4 large cooking apples; 3 tablespoons (45 mls) orange juice;
2 1/2 oz (70g) fine breadcrumbs; 1 tablespoon (15ml) butter;
3 oz (85g) caster sugar; pinch of salt; 2 eggs;
3 tablespoons (45ml) caster sugar, for meringue.

Peel and grate the apples, and stir in the fruit juice and breadcrumbs. Cream the butter with the sugar and the pinch of salt, add the egg yolks and beat thoroughly. Blend thoroughly with the first mixture. Beat the egg whites up stiffly and fold in the remaining 3 tablespoons (45mls) of sugar. Fold this meringue into the apple mixture and turn into a buttered fireproof dish. Stand in a baking tin of hot water and cook in a moderate oven, mark 4, 350f, 180c, for about an hour. Serve with a custard sauce or with cream.

(Recipe from 'Four Seasons Cookery Book', Costa, Margaret, 1996, Grub Street)


5 comments:

  1. It looks, and I bet tastes and smells, utterly delicious. This is going in the to make list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good Lisa-marie, like a big apple dumpling! And that cannot be bad!! Jxx

      Delete
  2. It looks really yummy Jo ... will have to give it a go ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like absolute heaven, I will definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

It is always amazing to know you read and comment - so thank you very much.